William Carlton Wilson
carl @ wilsonwehmeyer.com
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States District Court—Southern District
United Sates District Court—Western District
United States District Court—Eastern District
College of the State Bar of Texas
When it comes to employment and property law, William “Carl” Wilson understands the legal risks organizations and individuals face. From an individuals’ estate and copyright matters to a business’s organization and employment policies, he uses his extensive knowledge to simplify legal logistics.
Carl graduated summa cum laude from South Texas College of Law. After law school, Carl worked with AM100 firms as a labor and employment associate, where he represented Fortune 100 and 500 companies in overtime, discrimination, retaliation and non-compete matters—counseling clients on federal, state, and international employment laws.
While in law school, Carl was an assistant editor for the South Texas Law Review, a Langdell School in property law, a member of Phi Delta Phi and received CALI Awards for Excellence in copyright law, agency and partnership, Texas wills and trusts law, and federal income taxation. He also was an intern for the Honorable Judge David Hittner, United States District Court, Southern District of Texas, Texas Attorneys and Accountants for the Arts, and Museum of Fine Arts, Houston.
Prior to becoming a lawyer, Carl worked in arts administration and music production. After graduating from Moore’s School of Music at the University of Houston, Carl worked for the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra, where he manged and produced over 300 concerts, tours, and music festivals performances, and the Houston Grand Opera where he was responsible for management and negotiations of the musicians collective bargaining agreement, rights licensing and record deals with Virgin, Deutsche Grammophon, and Naxos.
Carl is also Of Counsel to the Kuiper Law Firm.
- Probate application and administration
- Declaration of heirships
- Probate litigation
- Will contests
- Muniment of Title
- Trust creation
- Estate planning
- Represented independent executor in defense of informal-marriage claim involving surviving-spouse homestead claims
- Represented estate beneficiary in a claim of informal-marriage where the surviving-spouse homestead with tenants in common issues and the Retirement Equity Act
- Represented family members and beneficiaries in contested matters involving slayer-doctrine, international property, and community property issues in same-sex marriage
- Represented co-executor in removal action of the other executor
- Represents personal representatives in the administration of estates and negotiation with creditors
- Represents others in procedures to declare heirship, muniment of title, and other forms of Texas probate
Employer-side employment law for employers in the energy, finance, and professional services business
- Discrimination charge defense
Counseling and litigation defense for claims under Title VII, ADA, ADEA, FMLA, and FLSA wage and hour
- Employee classification, wage and leave counseling
- Non-compete, non-disclosure and other executive agreement counseling, representation and drafting
- Employee handbook and policy counseling and drafting
- Human resources general counsel services
Employee-side employment Law for executives, employees, and freelancers in the entertainment, hospitality, retail and other service industries
- Executive offer and termination advising and representation
- Musical and visual artist commissioning advising and representation
- Employee termination and leave review
- Obtain a special appearance of a former international executive for a Texas-based company who had returned to his home country.
- Negotiated favorable settlement for energy sector employer on Fair Labor Standards Act collective action claim
- Represented employer in energy EEOC investigation of Title VII race claims
- Represented employers in energy, construction, and finance sectors on EEOC charges for discrimination in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act and Age Discrimination in Employment Act.
- Counsels employers on Americans with Disabilities accommodation requirements and employee leaves under the Family Medical Leave Act and other leave laws.
- Represent and counsel business and sales executives in employment and compensation agreements, including assignment and non-compete covenants.
- Negotiated, in a non-legal capacity, collective bargaining agreements for the American Federation of Musicians, American Guild of Musical Artists, and the International Alliance of Theatrical and Stage Employees.
- Successfully settled FMLA claim for an employee in the security service sector.
- Successfully settled Title VII and FMLA claims for an employee in the communications sector.
- Property liability and title disputes
- Landlord-tenant disputes
- Debt and judgment collection
- Commercial insurance claims
- Represent property owner in a suit brought by the government for claims of public nuisance and successfully defended against the state’s request for a temporary injunction
- Obtain summary judgment for construction company against an insurance company for a denial of a claim under a builder’s risk policy
- Represent a construction industry business in collection suits and subsequent default judgments
- Clear title for properties with suits to quiet title
- Represent convenience store clients in landlord-tenant relationships including leases with personal guarantees
- Represent construction business client in negotiation and settlement with creditors
- Copyright and trademark filing, management and enforcement
- Composer and artist advising and representation
- Business organization and governance advising
- Landlord tenant counseling
- Property licensing and rental